I am falling in love with Summer fruit pies, that means you are going to see a lot more of them this summer. This tart is special for me because I know exactly where the cherries came from,my neighbor’s back yard. when You know where your ingredients come from it just makes your food taste a lot more better.
After you make the tart dough, the rest of the recipe is a very easy and fast. Combine the cherries with some sugar and a bit of cornstarch and the filling is complete. These are free form tarts, meaning that the dough is rolled into a circle, the filling placed in the center and the edges of dough folded and pleated around the edged for a rustic look.
For the chocolate tart
- 150grams(2/3 cup) butter
- 150grams(3/4 cups) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 250grams(2 cups) white flour
- 25grams( 1/4 cup) cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 1 and 1/2teaspoon cornstarch
- 150ml (2/3 cup) cold water
- 60grams (1/3 cup) sugar
- 500grams( 3 cups) halved and pitted cherries
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Icing sugar
For the tart
- Preheat oven to 150c/302F.
- Spray a 20cm/8″ round tin with oil or line with baking/parchment paper.
- Mix the butter and the sugar in a big bowl until homogeneous
- Beat the egg with the vanilla, baking powder and pinch of salt.
- Add them in the bowl with the butter and mix
- Now add the flour and the cocoa powder sifting, a bit at a time and mix well till it is a dough.
- Then roll in a film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time lets make the filling.
For the filling
- Dissolve the corn starch in the cold water and add the sugar, mix well
- Then in a medium pan over low heat add the above ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Add cherries, mixing gently boil again until cherries are slightly softened.
- Remove the filling add the lemon juice mix well and let cool.
- When the dough run its course, roll it out on the counter with a little bit of flour 1/2 an inch thick.
- Put it in the tin make sure the boards are higher and irregular. pour in the cheery filling then fold back the border over the filling
- Cook the tart in preheat oven for an hour, let cool for 30minutes, dust icing sugar and ENJOY