Hello, to day I am going to present to you one of the many delicious Ethiopian dish. It is made for special occasions like holidays, weddings, family gathering….So I thought this will be a perfect meal for Christmas to enjoy with family and friends. It is a chicken stew with lots of caramelized red onion, a well balanced spice, boiled eggs and tender chicken meat.
In the original recipe to cook this dish it is going to take around 6 hours. It should be cooked on a charcoal and very slowly.The final result is going to be the combination of unbelievable flavors, the perfect balance between sweet and sour. The sauce is going to be thick and spicy. You can eat it with fork or bread. If you wish you can add goat cheese, which will go really well with the test.
My version of our precious chicken stew can be realized in less cooking time but with intense flavor. Around step 8, before adding the chili pepper, you can set aside some of the caramelized onion to make a stew with out the heat. But to intensify the flavor of the sauce with out the chili pepper, we will add curry. Then we will enrich it with the chicken meat and the boiled eggs.
- 10 eggs (medium or large as you wish)
- 5 big red onion (cut in big chunks)
- 1 big carrot ( cleaned and cut in pieces)
- 1 medium celery (cleaned and cut in pieces with out the strings)
- 2 fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated and with out strings)
- enough olive oil to cook the onion
- 5 tablespoon chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry
- chicken broth
- 2 kilos / 4.5 pounds 1 liter bone less chicken meat
- white flour seasoned with salt and pepper (sufficient for dusting the chicken)
- preheat the oven to 150c/302f
- oil the tray
- boil the broth (useful tip: it is better to heat the broth, because every time we add a cold broth or water in to the hot sauce it will lower the temperature which we have to bring up again and again and this will prolong the cooking time)
- cook the eggs in a cold salted water for 15 – 17 minutes. when cooked put them in cold water and when cool enough to handle take off their shells
- treat well the onion, the carrot and the celery together in a food processor
- put all in a large nonstick pot and cook in medium heat till the water is almost evaporated. you need to stir every now and then
- now pour the oil in and reduce the heat to low. cook the onion till transparent and soft.Of course string more frequently so that it will not burn
- add the minced garlic and ginger and mix well.
- by now you should be able to smell a well caramelized onion. It is time to add the chili pepper incorporate very well
- cook it for 30minutes, stirring frequently and adding broth when tends to dry( useful tip: I suggest that after the 30 minutes are done test the sauce and see if it pinches, if so it means the chili is not cooked well, then you need to add another 10 – 15 minutes)
- while the onion is cooking, in a separate chopping board, cut the chicken to either a bite size or if you like bigger
- heat a pan with a bit of oil, dust the chicken with flour and cook them till golden brown
- do not to forget to stir the sauce and add the broth frequently
- then cook the chicken in the preheated oven for 20 minutes
- now when they are done, take them out of the oven and mix them with the sauce
- pock the eggs with a fork and mix them in the sauce. obviously pocking the eggs will help the sauce to inter inside and give them a special flavor
- spread the delicious sauce on a plate, parsley, a dash of olive oil and ENJOY.
The Barozzi cake is a sweet typical of Emilian cuisine. In particular it was devised in Vignola, near Modena. Barozzi is a chocolate dessert where simple ingredients combine to create a unique taste. It is prepared in a short time and does not require particular capacity.
I have made this cake kids friendly by not adding the alcohol. So in my house this delicious dessert will not last a day may be 2, but if it is going to last more in your house it would be better to refrigerate it up to 3 days.
If you guys like how I took the photos, I got the idea from this amazing blog by Charisma on charismaticbaking ,check it out it is beautiful.
- 250g / 1 and 1/4 cups dark chocolate (70%)
- 80g /3/5 cups butter
- 4 medium eggs(separated)
- 80g/ 3/8 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 100g /1/2 cup ground almond
- 2 tablespoons of coffee powder
- pinch of salt
- preheat oven at 150C/ 302F
- Spray a 2 and 1/2 quarts or 9 inch square baking dish with oil and line with baking/parchment paper and set aside
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler with the butter ( useful tip: spill a little bit of water with the chocolate, it will help it melt much quicker)
- with an electric mixer mix the yolk with the sugar till creamy
- then add the cinnamon , vanilla and chili pepper mix well
- by now the chocolate must be melted. Now we have to mix it well with spatula and pour it in the bowl of the eggs ( useful tip: if possible it is better to wait till the chocolate is a bit cooler, so that the heat will not dismount the mixture we just prepared with the yolk)
- now put in the almond (leaving some aside for decor) and the coffee, then mix till the mixture is homogeneous
- the last step is mounting the white of the eggs with a pinch of salt and incorporate with the rest of the mixture
- cook for 20 minutes wait 10 minutes to cool and ENJOY.
Christmas is around the corner every body, and me and my family are so excited. To day we went to the Christmas market, it was marvelous. Lights every where, Christmas gifts for family and friends, the smell of Christmas tree and happy people. It was beautiful. It was priceless, some thing money can never ever buy.
Believe it or not this place, on the top, is our biggest piazza here in Trento. It is called piazza del Duomo. As you can see it is filled with light and at the left there is a beautiful fountain. Here you can find shops, bars, restaurants, boutiques, ice cream shops (ummm…. Italian ice cream as they call it gelato it is extraordinary ) so on and so forth.We took a walk near the piazza then we bought a Christmas tree and headed home. Tomorrow we are going to decorate it beautifully.
This is one of my favorite. When you pass by the smell of the smoked bacon, sausage,salami, ham….will absolutely make you stand, turn and buy some.Good for you cause later you are the one who is going to enjoy it. May be make a sandwich and buy the hottest mulled wine, which you are going to find there, and ENJOY. Merry Christmas everyone.
Last Saturday morning I was helping some very generous and humble women baking cookies. They bake cookies to sell on Christmas market and send the money for a charity organization.It was a pleasant experience. Any way back to my business, on my way back home, knowing that I have not prepared anything for lunch, I picked a roasted chicken and French fries that they sell at the piazza (very testy by the way).
It turns out the chicken was big for the three of us. So I have enough left over roasted chicken to make a good roasted chicken salad. That will feed us well for dinner.
Now, we are going to make this spicy with chilly pepper ( to give us a little bit of warmth for the winter cold ), crunchy with apple and cucumber, sweet with honey and raisins, tangly salty with olives and anchovies……… it is gonna be damn delicious.
yield – 2 servings
- 7/8 cups / 153g cooked chicken meat with out bones (I used left over roasted chicken)
- 1/4 of medium yellow apple diced
- 1/2 of medium cucumber diced
- 1/2 of medium tomato with out seeds and diced
- mixed green salad (enough for two portions)
- 2 anchovies chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon chilly pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olives pitted and minced
- 2 tablespoons raisins(useful tips: preferably socked in warm water for 10 minutes )
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a little bit of extra virgin olive oil
- a little bit of sesame
- separate the chicken meat with your hands or a fork and put in a bowl.
- mix well all the ingredients for the marinating. Test for balanced saltiness and sweetness (useful tip: the anchovies and the olives will give enough saltiness so may be adding salt might not be needed )
- add the mixture to the chicken, stir very well to coat all of it then put in fridge and leave to marinate up to 2 hours
- put the mayonnaise in another bowl add the diced apple, cucumber and tomatoes coat well
- add the marinated chicken in to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix
- rearrange the green salad on a plate, put the deliciousness on top sprinkle with some sesame, drizzle good quality olive oil and ENJOY
I remember the different types of panna cotta we used to make,when I was in culinary school. Ummm…..they were exquisite, specially the one with coffee flavor. In the near future I will try to recreate that unforgettable test. Panna cotta is traditional, easy, and delicious Italian custard.
This is literally a 20 minutes max dessert with excellent results. It tastes just like the panna cotta served in restaurants.This recipe can be made with out the coloring. It will be snow white and beautiful. The sauce can be used cold from the fridge or hot right from the stove. It depends on your desire.
If you are any thing like me you will adore the silky texture, the sweet test, the sour sauce and the bites of the wild fruits. Before I forget let me tell you that, in case you don’t finish it 10 minutes after it is out of the fridge, it can stay refrigerated for maximum of three days.
- 500ml/ 2.1 cups heavy cream
- 21/2(5g/0,18oz) unflavored gelatin
- 100g/ 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 tablespoon raspberry
- 2 tablespoon blueberry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- first we will put the gelatin in cold water and leave aside
- now we put the cream in a saucepan over a very low heat stirring constantly
- then when it is warm we add the sugar and continue stirring (useful tip: don’t let the cream boil) until the sugar is all dissolved
- add the coloring and stir well to incorporate it with the cream
- all this process, may be takes about 10 minutes
- then squeeze well the gelatin from the cold water and put it in the cream and stir well leave aside to cool
- prepare any kind of container like a cup, a water glass or a champagne glass a container that can go in a fridge
- pour the cream in the containers and refrigerate at least for 2 hours
- while our panna is chilling lets make the simplest berry sauce on the face of the earth on a pan put in all the ingredients together(leave some for decor) and let the sugar dissolve
- wait till the berries infuse about 3minutes then take it off the heat and with immersion blender blend well. When the panna cotta is set there are two options for plating it. you can put the sauce over the panna cotta or you can verse the panna cotta on a plate and decor it and ENJOY.
To day I have been a little busy. Going to places and getting things done. When I arrived home it was already 2:30 in the after noon and I was so hungry, then I decided to make a simple but delicious, and spicy 15 minutes pasta.
I have got the idea from one of my favorite blogs www.cookaround.com/ricetta/trofie–alla–ligure . It is an original recipe from LIGURE. The pasta I was suppose to use was TROFIE but instead I have used BUCATINI, which in my opinion works as good.
The recipe calls for pecorino cheese. By all means go ahead and use that, I preferred not to.
yield – 4 servings
- 3 pieces of anchovies
- 1 garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
- handful of parsley
- 1 leg leek cleaned and chopped
- 2 cans peeled tomatoes(only the tomatoes,with out the juice, cut in half)
- 4 pieces of sun dried tomatoes(cut in small size)
- 2 tablespoons black olives
- olive oil
- salt(if necessary)
- 400g/14oz dry bucatini pasta
- salted boiling water
- chopped parsley
- pecorino cheese
- first boil the water for the pasta with enough salt
- heat the oil in a pan over medium heat add the anchovies and let them melt
- add the chili pepper , the garlic, the parsley and let cook for 2 minutes max. Take of the garlic before it gets burned
- now it is time to cook the pasta (useful tip: almost every time you cook a dry pasta,depends on the type of the pasta, it is better to reduce the cooking time by 2-3 minutes. Then the cooking will be finished in the sauce)
- in the mean time put in the leek in the pan with a little bit of cooking water cover the led and cook till transparent and soft about 5 minutes
- add the peeled tomatoes, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes
- at last add the olives and some more parsley
- I don’t think it needs more salt, cause the anchovies and the olives are salty enough but if you feel like it go ahead and use some . But always after you tasted it.
- by now the pasta should be done, drain it and mix it with the sauce immediately
- put the pasta on a plate, spread some pecorino cheeses, drizzle olive oil and ENJOY.
You can not control the temptation of licking the batter every time you whisk it. I have baked it for my daughter’s birth day and it was finished in 10 minutes, even before every guest has arrived. I remember I have made a really simple glaze with icing sugar. A friend gave me this recipe, who I thank so much, of course I have adjusted some things to my desire.
It can be a quick go to sponge cake for get together, birthday, etc. It will serve at least 8, with leftovers for breakfast. It’s barely sweet and it’s perfectly acceptable as a breakfast. You can serve the cake warm or at room temperature dusted with simply icing sugar or cacao powder. You can serve the cake warm or at room temperature dusted with simply icing sugar or cacao powder.
yield – 8 servings
- 3 eggs(separated )
- 200g(7/8 cups) sugar
- 125g/ 1 and 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 112 ml/ 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 50g/0,22cups dark chocolate in powder (70%)
- 100g ( 1 and 1/3cups) all purpose flour
- 150g (2/3cups) cornstarch
- 16g (1/8cups) 1 tablespoon backing powder with vanilla (but if it is only backing powder add 1 teaspoon vanilla)
- pinch of salt
- preheat oven at 180C/ 350F
- Spray a 20cm/8″ round tin with oil and line with baking/parchment paper and set aside
- add the sugar in the yolk and mix well with an electric mixer till creamy white
- whisk in the vegetable oil and the yogurt
- now it is time to add the dark chocolate and incorporate well
- then mix together the flour and baking powder
- using sift add the flour a few at a time and mix making sure there is no lumps
- mount the egg white, with a pinch of salt, until stiff and add in the mixture using spatula ( useful tip: make sure to mix from the bottom to the top gently)
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35 minutes. When a tester/toothpick comes out clean, transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let it cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. ENJOY