Yesterday me and my family have the opportunity to go to a STREET FOOD FESTIVAL in ROVERETO and taste some of the delicious foods they have prepared.
Before we went there, I thought to my self I would like to eat a good, lemony, spicy grilled chicken with some salad and some kind of dressing. Unfortunately there wasn’t, so I said to my self this is going to be my next post on my blog.
Here are some pictures form the street food festival and the deliciousness we have tasted and enjoyed.
PASTRAMI BLACK AND PORCHETTA
CHURROS AND LA SEBADA ( it is a sweet filled with cheese and fried)
This is my version of SPICY CHICKEN KEBAB
This recipe is quick, easy and would go well as part of a mixed meal. Wrapped up in a tortilla, or making it a sandwich (the way I have done it )however, it is going to be one of your favorite lunchtime/dinner sandwiches.
With its smoky, sweet, sour, spicy tastes and creamy texture,the result is completely different from regular chicken kebab, but equally delicious.
- Four slices of whole bread
- 150 grams ( 1 cup) chicken
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- some fresh chopped rosemary
- olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- Chopped salad
- Some sliced tomatoes
- Some sliced onion
- Greek yogurt dressing ( two tablespoon of Greek yogurt, a splash of oil, two teaspoon mayonnaise, chopped chives and salt )
- Juice of half a lemon
- Two teaspoon of honey
- First thing is first, we pound and marinate the chicken with olive oil, rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper. Put it in a fridge from 30 minutes to an hour.
- Heat a grill on medium with a little bit of oil, cook the marinated chicken 3-4 minutes on each side.
- In the mean time mix the lemon juice and honey
- Take them out, cut them in small bite pieces and put them back on the grill. Now pour the lemon and honey mix over them and cook for another minute, turning them over every now and then.
- Put the whole bread, the tomatoes and the onion on the grill for a minute on each side, take them out spread some of the yogurt sauce on both breads
- On one of the breads put the salad, onion, tomatoes, the chicken and some yogurt cover it with the other half and ENJOY it while it is hot.
Love banana bread? Great. You can get the same flavor with this muffins that bakes a whole lot faster and already portioned.
This muffin can be dessert, snack or breakfast for kids as well as adults.What can be more ideal for week days, full of school and work.
I have used chocolate cause it is my baby’s favorite sweet in the whole world. But if you want to make it a little bit healthier, can also add chopped nuts or you can leave out either the chocolate or the nuts.
All the dry ingredients in one large bowl
- 230 grams ( 1 cup) white all purpose flour
- 100 grams ( 1/2 cup) of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 0,5 gram vanilla in powder( 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 grams Dark chocolate chopped
All the wet ingredients in another large bowl
- 2 eggs
- 3 large mashed ripen bananas
- 100 grams (1/2 cups) butter melted and cooled to a room temperature
- Icing sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 150°C /302°F
- Line a twelve cup muffin pan with paper liners or just spray with oil or butter them and set aside
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Put all the wet ingredients ( starting from the eggs beaten, mashed bananas and melted butter) in the other bowl and mix well
- Put the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until smooth. Be careful not to over mix it or the muffin will be though but it must be homogeneous
- Use an ice cream scoop or two tablespoons to distribute the batter evenly in the muffin pan
- Cook for 40 minutes / until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Let cool for 10 minutes garnish with icing sugar and ENJOY
I made this cake for one of my best friends MAKI, love you beautiful, who lives in Finland. She asked me to make some thing delicious with berries, because at this time of the year they have a lot of them.
So, I made this super duper BERRIES AND LEMON PLUM CAKE. This cake is so moist that it needs to be cut carefully, so not to smoosh it. It is so delicious too.
I used half fresh and half frozen berries cause I had them in freezer, but feel free to use only fresh or only frozen berries.
If you are not going to finish it in a day, I suggest you put it in the fridge and finish it with in 3 days.
Special thanks to https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/lemon-yogurt-anything-cake/ which I have used as reference. It is an amazing blog, I admire every recipe they post.
- 190 grams (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour + one tablespoon for dusting
- 16 grams (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 230 grams (1 cup) Greek yogurt
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 lemon zest
- A juice of 1 lemon
- 1 gram vanilla powder (1/2 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup ) sunflower vegetable oil
- About 100 grams (1 cup) fresh blueberries
- About 100 grams (1 cup) frozen mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 150°C /302°F. Grease an 11 x 25 cm loaf pan. Line with parchment paper.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients, except the sugar, and set aside
- In another bowl, whisk together first the sugar and the eggs then add the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients(small amount at a time) into the wet ingredients and mix delicately until homogeneous
- At last dust the fresh and frozen berries with one tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter.
- Bake the plum cake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave 15 minuter to cool and ENJOY for breakfast, snack, or for dessert. Your choice.
Bolognese sauce known in Italy as ragù alla bolognese or simply ragù, is a meat-based sauce originating from Bologna, Italy. In Italian cuisine, it is customarily used to dress “tagliatelle al ragù” and to prepare “lasagne alla bolognese“. In the absence of tagliatelle, it can also be used with other broad, flat pasta shapes, such as pappardelle or fettuccine. Then topped with Parmesan cheese or any other cheese of your preference.
Bolognese sauce is a slowly cooked sauce. Ingredients include a characteristic sautéing of onion, celery and carrot, different types of minced or finely chopped beef, often alongside small amounts of fatty pork. Red wine and a small amount of tomato paste and peeled tomato, the dish is then gently simmered at length to produce a thick sauce. Rosemary and parsley are the two herbs that compliment the taste of the bolognese sauce.
I am going to bring the bolognese sauce to whole another level by adding my spicy mix. Which is a mixture of dried Guajillo pepper / chili pepper,dried onion, garlic, grains of paradise / cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, ground black pepper and salt. All of these ingredients will be roasted, let cool then grind. I will write a post on the spicy mix that I usually use to make my tasty dishes.
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 celery without string and diced
- 2 tablespoon my spicy mix ( chili flakes)
- 150 g( ⅔ cup ) minced beef
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 can of peeled tomato
- 500 ml( 2 1/4 cups) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 fresh garlic
- Olive oil
- Chopped parsley
- Using a food processor mince the onion, the carrot and the celery.
- In a big pot on low heat, cook the minced vegetables until they finish their water.
- Add the oil, cover the lead and cook till they are soft and transparent about 7-10 minutes. Stirring every now and then.
- Add my spicy mix or the chili flakes and cook for another 10 minutes. If it tends to burn add a little bit of hot water.
- Now add the minced beef( make sure that they don’t attack to each other and form a ball) cook for another 10 minutes – 15 minutes. Until it finishes its water.
- Flavor the beef with red wine and let the alcohol evaporate by putting the heat on high.
- Then lower the heat on minimum, add the peeled tomatoes, the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stirring occasionally cook at least for an 45 minutes or until the tomato paste is reduced by half. If it is not dense enough keep it cooking for another 10-15 minutes
- Add the freshly minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add rosemary, chopped parsley and ENJOY
Italians say pasta al pomodoro ( spaghetti /pasta/ with tomato sauce) is the best dish ever. It is a comfort food. I agree, I do. It is simple, not time consuming, yet one of the best dishes in Italy. Every bite gives you a balanced flavor and freshness which according to my opinion any kind of meal should have.
I am trying to teach my daughter what a good and healthy food is, in the process create a positive memory through food which I believe is incredibly powerful. Almost for every bodies comfort food is the one they are used to eat as a child. A food which has good memories with family, relatives and friends. A food that they would have any time of the day.
My favorite comfort food (as silly as it may sound) is a simple fresh home made bread with a flavorful tea. Now this might seem silly, like I said, but the memory that I have with it is incredibly amazing. I can still smell the fresh bread, the warmth of our house my mother’s lovely smile, my father, my sisters and my brothers all around enjoying our silly tea and bread. So I am trying to teach my daughter the value that a comfort food might have in a family.
The spaghetti sauce is hearty, with just the right thickness to top any kind of pasta. It’s not too acidic thanks to the sugar and a medley of herbs and is loaded with flavor. I like to garnish my plate with a bit of shaved Parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a few torn leaves of fresh basil. If you feel like it a dash of red pepper flakes on top of your pasta will give you a nice kick.
- 500 grams of dry spaghetti
- 1 red onion chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon chilly pepper flakes/ chilly powder
- 200 grams peeled tomatoes cut in to small pieces
- 300 gram tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 fresh garlic finely chopped
- Freshly chopped parsley
- 3 basil leaves chopped and some more for decoration
- Good quality olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh grated cheese
- Salted boiling water for the pasta
- Cook the onion with a little bit of oil until soft and transparent. It would take about 5-7 minutes
- When the onion is cooked add the chilly pepper flakes/ chilly powder and mix well, If it tends to burn add a little bit of hot water, cook for another 5-7 minutes
- Then add the peeled tomatoes and the tomato sauce. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Cook the spaghetti al dente ( when it still has a bite to it)
- Add the sugar, the garlic and the chopped basil leaves, stir well and leave to cook for another 3 minutes
- Drain the pasta, add it directly to the delicious sauce ( a little bit of pasta water would make it even succulent) and mix together.
- Still on the heat, put in some grated cheese mix again about a minute
- Take out on your plate sprinkle some more cheese, basil leaves on top and a drizzle of olive oil. ENJOY
Me and my daughter have made fresh bread at home for the first time. She has this cooking class she takes in school, so she has already baked bread. But at home it is the very first time and it’s her idea.
I am very happy with the result, and I would like to try with other kinds of flours. This could be my future project.
This is a basic white bread that bakes up deliciously golden brown. I enjoy the aroma of freshly baked homemade bread in my kitchen.
- 15 grams compressed yeast
- A little bit of warm water
- 300 grams water at room temperature
- 20 grams olive oil
- 10 grams white sugar
- 10 grams salt
- 800 grams ( 6 cups )of white flour 00 ( some for dusting )
- A hand full of sesame seeds
- Prepare a big bowl
- In another small bowl dissolve the yeast in a little bit of warm water and set aside
- Mix the room temperature water with the rest of the ingredients,except the flour, in the big bowl that you have prepared earlier and mix well
- Add a small amount of the flour at a time and mix using a hand mixer or an electric mixer
- After putting in half of the flour incorporate also the dissolve yeast and continue adding the flour in small amounts until you finish it
- Now incorporate with your hands, if the dough is sticking add a little bit of flour
- Now take it out of the bowl.Put it on your work table and work on the dough until it is smooth and homogeneous about 10 minutes
- Put the dough in the previous bowl coated with oil, cover with a damp cloth and put it where there is no draft for about two hours
- After two hours, deflate the dough, form it on to your preferred shape/ size on your baking tray, sprinkle some of the sesame seeds over, cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest again for an hour.
- Heat the oven to 200 degree Celsius 395 degree Fahrenheit
- When the dough run its course bake it in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until you knock the bottom of the bread with your hand and hear a hollow sound.
- Let it cool down and ENJOY it how ever you desire.
Here in Trento, at times the temperature is as high as 35-38 degree Celsius ( 95-100 degree Fahrenheit ). It is so so so hot, when a return home from work around 3:30 PM, I would like to eat some thing light, tasty, easy to prepare and nutritional as well.
I have picked the cabbage, the cheery tomatoes and the basil from my own garden, I feel really good saying that. I have to thank my dear husband, Fitsum, for all the hard work. This rainbow colored past salad is fresh and easy to prepare, like I said. The pasta has to be cooked and cooled before hand, so you can cook it way before preparing your salad. Every other ingredient, with and exception of the bacon, can be prepared and refrigerated before hand. So basically it will be a 10 minutes preparation after wards.
I have used a little bit more of sun dried tomatoes, because I like them so much. They give a lot of flavor for any kind of dish I prepare, for example BUCATINI WITH PEELED TOMATOES AND OLIVES is mouth watering.
I didn’t use salt because the olives, the tuna and the sun dried tomatoes are kind of salty. Plus the pasta is already cooked in salted water, so it is going to be pretty tasty with out salt. And again it is better to avoid salt if possible.
- Quarter of a small cabbage
- 50 grams( 1/2 cup ) cooked whole pasta
- A hand full of cherry tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- A hand full of peas
- 50 grams( 1/4 cup) canned tuna
- 50 grams (1 cup) sun dried tomatoes
- 2 basil leaves
- 2 teaspoon of olives
- 2 teaspoon of olive oil
- Three thinly sliced bacon
- Great the cabbage with mandolin, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, peel the carrot very thinly using a potato peeler.
- Cut the sun dried tomatoes in to small pieces.
- Drain the tuna oil
- Mix all the ingredients, except the bacon, in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat a grill / a pan cook the bacon, with out any oil, until crisp
- Break the cooked bacon in to small pieces and spread over the pasta salad
- Add oil toss every ingredient together, sprinkle the chopped basil and ENJOY.