The lemon tart is a classic of English tradition. The base of pastry is stuffed with a cream made with eggs, sugar, lemon juice, butter and corn starch. This tart is the perfect ending to a family get together. An elegant citron is also a thing of beauty, the zesty flavored crumbly tart marrying perfectly with the creamy custard filling. Toping it with another dough makes it more crumbly.
- 200g (7/8 cup) chilled and chopped butter
- 150g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 2 yolks and 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 400g flour + some for dusting
For the filling
- 200 ml water
- 30g (1/8 cup) butter
- 30g (1/8 cup) corn starch
- 1 egg
- 100g( 1/2 cup) sugar
- 1 table spoon lemon zest
- the juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 150c/302F.
- Spray a 20cm/8″ round tin with oil or line with baking/parchment paper. This is done.
- Mix the butter and the sugar in a big bowl until homogeneous
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla, lemon zest, pinch of salt and baking powder.
- Add them in the bowl with the butter and mix
- Now add the flour, a bit at a time and mix well till it is a dough.
- Then roll in a film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time let’s prepare the lemon cream, first dissolve the corn starch in the amount of water mentioned above.
- Then in a pot add all the ingredients together and mix well with an egg beater.
- Cook on low heat stirring every now and then till it is a little bit dense.
- Now take it out and put the pot in cold water so that it stops cooking and let it cool down.
- When the dough run its course,cut half of it for the upper crust, roll the rest out on the counter with a little bit of flour 1/2 an inch thick.
- Put it in the tin make sure the boards are a little bit higher.Fill in the lemon cream.Roll out the other half of the dough and cover the filling completely. If some dough goes out of the tin, tack it in.
- Cook for 40minutes or till golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes before lifting out of the tin. Allow to cool before cutting and ENJOY.