Spring is knocking in our doors. It is coming with fresh breath and bright sun, I am excited. Aren’t you? It is the right time to make one of my favorite pasta dishes ORECCHIETTE WITH GORGONZOLA, BROCCOLI AND FRESH CHEERY TOMATOES.
Thinking that it might be difficult to find Gorgonzola, I have proposed an alternative blue cheese Roquefort. Roquefort and Gorgonzola are two kinds of blue cheese. Roquefort is a French sheep’s milk cheese and Gorgonzola is Italian and made from cow’s milk. Roquefort has a sharper flavor, but is not as strongly flavored as robust and aromatic Gorgonzola. Of course the taste is going to be different, but if you can’t find Gorgonzola use Roquefort.
In order to melt the Gorgonzola we have two options:
- We can heat heavy cream in the pan and add the Gorgonzola so that it will melt
- We can use the already boiling pasta water and melt the Gorgonzola
It is obvious that there are going to be differences in taste and calories. But it is once decision to use either one.
- One medium broccoli (steamed or cooked in water)
- 200g / 2 cups Gorgonzola ( cut in to pieces)
- Cherry tomatoes ( cut in small pieces)
- Olive oil
- 400g/ 4 cups dry orecchiette pasta
- Salted water
- olive oil
- First boil the water for the pasta with enough salt, when boiled add the pasta and cook according to package instruction
- In the mean time heat a large pan over medium heat ( like I have explained above it is your choice to use heavy cream or the pasta water to melt the Gorgonzola) then over the pasta water or the heavy cream add the Gorgonzola give it a stir
- Add the broccoli and stir again
- By now the pasta should be ready, take it out of the water directly in to the sauce that you have just prepared. Stir it again.
- Put it on a plate, spread the cherry tomatoes,the parsley and drizzle a little bit of oil and ENJOY.