This simple yogurt cake takes a decadent turn with chocolate chips and a generous amount of melted chocolate on top. In addition to that it is butter less chocolate chips cake. I can guaranty you that you can satisfy a crowd with this cake. It is possible to avoid the chocolate coating over the cake, it depends on your taste for me it adds a great deal of moisture and chocolaty flavor.
One reason yogurt is used in baking is to add moistness and texture to batter or dough. Yogurt is creamy and thick, not watery like many liquids. For a simple substitution, sour cream have similar characteristics, although they may be higher in fat.
Or else, choose a substitution that has an acidic tang. Yogurt’s distinctive, tart flavor adds complexity to baked goods to preserve it’s tart flavor,make sour milk yourself by adding 2 to 4 teaspoons of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar per cup of milk. Allow it to stand undisturbed for a few minutes so it can thicken before use.
Yield : 6-8 servings
- 3 eggs (separated )
- 15og ( 3/4 cup) sugar
- 125g ( 1 and 1/2 cups) Greek yogurt
- 100 ml ( 1/2 cup) sunflower oil
- 100g (1/2cup) chocolate chips
- 150g ( 2/3cup) all purpose flour plus a hand full to dust the chocolate chips
- 150g (2/3cup) cornstarch
- 16g (1/8cup) 1 tablespoon backing powder with vanilla (but if it is only backing powder add 1 teaspoon vanilla)
- pinch of salt
- Melted chocolate( I used Nutella)
- preheat oven at 180C/ 350F
- Spray a 20cm/8″ round tin with oil and line with baking/parchment paper and set aside
- add the sugar in the yolk and mix well with an electric mixer till creamy white
- whisk in the vegetable oil and the yogurt
- then mix together the flour and baking powder
- using sift add the flour a few at a time and mix making sure there is no lumps
- now it is time to add the chocolate chips dusted with flour( useful tip: dusting the chocolate chips with a little bit of flour will help it not to sink to the bottom of the cake) and incorporate well
- mount the egg white, with a pinch of salt, until stiff and add in the mixture using spatula
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 minute or when a toothpick comes out clean, transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let it cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. ENJOY