Hello, to day I am going to present to you one of the many delicious Ethiopian dish. It is made for special occasions like holidays, weddings, family gathering….So I thought this will be a perfect meal for Christmas to enjoy with family and friends. It is a chicken stew with lots of caramelized red onion, a well balanced spice, boiled eggs and tender chicken meat.
In the original recipe to cook this dish it is going to take around 6 hours. It should be cooked on a charcoal and very slowly.The final result is going to be the combination of unbelievable flavors, the perfect balance between sweet and sour. The sauce is going to be thick and spicy. You can eat it with fork or bread. If you wish you can add goat cheese, which will go really well with the test.
My version of our precious chicken stew can be realized in less cooking time but with intense flavor. Around step 8, before adding the chili pepper, you can set aside some of the caramelized onion to make a stew with out the heat. But to intensify the flavor of the sauce with out the chili pepper, we will add curry. Then we will enrich it with the chicken meat and the boiled eggs.
- 10 eggs (medium or large as you wish)
- 5 big red onion (cut in big chunks)
- 1 big carrot ( cleaned and cut in pieces)
- 1 medium celery (cleaned and cut in pieces with out the strings)
- 2 fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated and with out strings)
- enough olive oil to cook the onion
- 5 tablespoon chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry
- chicken broth
- 2 kilos / 4.5 pounds 1 liter bone less chicken meat
- white flour seasoned with salt and pepper (sufficient for dusting the chicken)
- chopped parsley
- preheat the oven to 150c/302f
- oil the tray
- boil the broth (useful tip: it is better to heat the broth, because every time we add a cold broth or water in to the hot sauce it will lower the temperature which we have to bring up again and again and this will prolong the cooking time)
- cook the eggs in a cold salted water for 15 – 17 minutes. when cooked put them in cold water and when cool enough to handle take off their shells
- treat well the onion, the carrot and the celery together in a food processor
- put all in a large nonstick pot and cook in medium heat till the water is almost evaporated. you need to stir every now and then
- now pour the oil in and reduce the heat to low. cook the onion till transparent and soft.Of course string more frequently so that it will not burn
- add the minced garlic and ginger and mix well.
- by now you should be able to smell a well caramelized onion. It is time to add the chili pepper incorporate very well
- cook it for 30minutes, stirring frequently and adding broth when tends to dry( useful tip: I suggest that after the 30 minutes are done test the sauce and see if it pinches, if so it means the chili is not cooked well, then you need to add another 10 – 15 minutes)
- while the onion is cooking, in a separate chopping board, cut the chicken to either a bite size or if you like bigger
- heat a pan with a bit of oil, dust the chicken with flour and cook them till golden brown
- do not to forget to stir the sauce and add the broth frequently
- then cook the chicken in the preheated oven for 20 minutes
- now when they are done, take them out of the oven and mix them with the sauce
- pock the eggs with a fork and mix them in the sauce. obviously pocking the eggs will help the sauce to inter inside and give them a special flavor
- spread the delicious sauce on a plate, parsley, a dash of olive oil and ENJOY.