Spaghetti and Meatballs is a perfect family friendly meal. It is baked topped with lots of cheese, until hot, bubbly, and melted gooey! I have made half of my Spaghetti and Meatball with out any kind of cheese because my beloved husband prefers his portion with out it. so I made it half white and half red. cool right!
A simple casserole made with layers of pasta, tomato sauce, cheese, spice and of course meatballs. Yammy.
The reason I mix the pasta with the sauce is because the starch released from the pasta creates a sauce that is silkier and clings better to the pasta than cooking the sauce and pasta separately.
This is the right way to mix a pasta and its sauce(any kind of sauce). Almost every pasta dish should be finished off by tossing the almost-cooked pasta in the sauce with a splash of pasta water. Doing this thickens the pasta sauce and it clings to every strand of pasta so you don’t end up with a pool of pasta sauce at the bottom of the bowl.
It can also be a really good leftover for the coming day. you just have to put it in a micro wave and heat it up.
yield 4 -5 servings
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chilly powder/ chilly pepper
- 700ml/1.4lb tomato sauce
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 medium celery(with out the string)
- 400g/ 1lb ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- herbs (a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano )
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- a pinch of nutmeg
- bread crumbs(enough to make the meat a little bit dry )
- a little bit of oil to sauté the onion and celery
- a little bit of oil to cook the meatballs
- 300g/ 11oz spaghetti
- boiling water
- salt for the water
- 2 large eggs for latter use
- chopped chives
- grated mozzarella cheese as needed
- grated Parmesan as needed
- heat the oven to 150C/302F
- oil your 21/2 quarts or 9 inch square baking dish
- lets start from the sauce because it is gonna take 30minutes to cook and it has to reduce by half
- so heat the oil in a pot on a medium heat add the garlic and the chilly powder, after 2seconds.Add the tomato sauce put on the cover and turn the heat to low, stir every now and then
- boil the water for the pasta. When boiled cook to packet instruction( useful tip: always put away some of the cooking water you never know when it will come in handy)
- now the meatballs, sauté the onion and the celery till soft
- in a big bowl put in the meat, the egg, all the herbs, the soy sauce, the nutmeg,the sautéed onion and the bread crumbs mix well
- Shape into 8 dozen small meatballs 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter
- cook all in a pan with a little bit of oil till golden brown
- it is time to salt and pepper the tomato sauce
- at this point I like to add the cooked meatballs in the tomato sauce, with a little bit of cooking water, so that they will flavor each other(5 – 7minutes)
- then add the pasta in the pot mix well and verse in to the baking dish that you previously prepared
- now pour the two eggs that I have mentioned above on the pasta and pock the pasta with a fork that way the eggs will fall trough
- cook for 20 – 30 minutes or till golden brown
- sprinkle with some chives and ENJOY.