Beets are one of my families favorite vegetable. It’s sweet and earthy flavor can easily make it any once choice for a side dish, salad, healthy drink, sauce and so on.
Preparing the red beets pesto is not difficult, just tossing every ingredient i have mentioned below in to a mixer and blending them will give us the desired result.
Tossing the pasta with the pesto is also an important step, it let’s the pasta acquires its gorgeous red color.Its intense color and the equilibrated test that it gets from the rocket salad and the other ingredients will make it an ideal lunch or dinner for kids.
Yield – 4 servings
For the roasted beet pesto
- 6 medium roasted red beets
- 1/2 cup/ 113g almonds chopped
- 1 minced garlic / 1 teaspoon garlic oil
- 6 leaves rocket salad
- 1/2 cup/ 113g Parmesan
- 1/2 cup/ 119ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- cooking water
For the pasta
- 400g fusilli pasta
- handful chopped almond
- some rocket salad leaves
- put the roasted beets in a mixer or blender with the almond, garlic, the rocket salad and blend very well.
- then add the Parmesan and start puring the oil slowly while blending and continue till obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
- for the final step put in pinch of salt and lemon juice then blend a bit more.
- if the pesto is dense we can pour a little bit of the cooking water later when worming it on a pan.
- now set aside the pesto and cook the pasta in a pot of salted water. Cook al dente about 2-3 minutes less than the recommended cooking time this later helps not to over cook the pasta.
- In the meantime transferred the beet pesto in a large pan and toss the pasta until well coated with the sauce.
- Spoon pasta on a plate. Garnish with some rocket salad, chopped almond, dash of freshly grounded pepper and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately. ENJOY.