This red tart is a joy to the eye, the palate and gives you the desire to eat just a little bit more. Very lemony-flavored with a crust that crumbles all over the plate but dares you to finish every bit of it.
we are going to prepare the dough from the beginning, step by step so that in case we want to make a red velvety cookie on Christmas eve, we can go ahead and use our very dough.
For the red tart
- 7/8 cup/200g chilled and chopped butter
- 3/4 cup/150g sugar
- 2 yolks and 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 10g red food coloring
- 400g flour + some for dusting
For the filling
- 200 ml water
- 1/8 cup/30g butter
- 1/8 cup/30g corn starch
- 1 egg
- 7/8 cup/200g sugar
- 1 table spoon lemon zest
- the juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 180c/350F.
- Spray a 20cm/8″ round tin with oil and line with baking/parchment paper. This is done.
- Now we are going to start from the red tart, mix the butter and the sugar in a big bowl.
- add the eggs well beaten with the vanilla, lemon zest, pinch of salt and baking powder.
- add the food coloring a little bit at a time and mix well.
- now add the flour, again a bit at a time and mix well till it is a dough.
- Then roll in a film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- now let’s prepare the lemon cream first dissolve the corn starch in the amount of water mentioned above.
- then in a pot add all the ingredients together and mix well with an egg beater.
- cook on a medium heat stirring every now and then till it is a little bit dense.
- Now take it out and put the pot in a cold water so that it stops cooking and let it cool down.
- when the dough run its course,cut 1/3 of it for the upper crust, roll the rest out on the counter with a little bit of flour 1/2 an inch thick.
- put it in the pan make sure the boards are a little bit higher.Fill in the lemon cream.Make the strip on top and put in the oven for 30minutes.
- Rest for 10 minutes before lifting out of the pan. Allow to cool before cutting and enjoy.